Saturday, April 24, 2010

Acting on intelligence

If undescript could have a mascot, the Prorator would be it. Barely different from its hull base, the pervasive Sigil-class cargo hauler, the Prorator could be - and was - often mistaken for is simpler cousin. But to Esna Pitoojee, as his Prorator slid into the dock, it was the greatest thing since the Bestower hull. Specifically, it allowed him to pull his first trick off.



Esna stepped you of the changing areas, drying his hair of the last of the water from the capsuleer showers. As he stepped out onto the floor of the hangar, he was met by an older True Amarr bearing a huge smile.

"Lord Pitoojee, I did not expect to see you again so soon! Although it is certainly to see you back again, God bless you."

Esna grinned back. "Amatos. Good to see you again as well, friend."

Benashut Amatos, the foreman for that docking bay, nodded as he pumped Esna's hand enthusiastically. "Though, you current choice of transport is a little underwhelming? Not as great as the Archon you had built here, Sir."

Esna grimaces, as if remembering something, then grins. "The Archon is... elsewhere. Still instact, mind you, and still bearing the graffiti someone sprayed on the third engine housing. But I'm not here to relax, and this ship has its uses to. For instance..." Esna waves back up to the Prorator, where, the hull subsections of a Pilgrim-class force recon were rapidly emerging from the cargo bay. "And she's got room to spare."

Amatos blinked once, pulled out a pair of thick-rimmed glasses, and blinked again. "Impressive, but why?"

"I need a combat-capable ship. And I need a transport. They both fit."

Amatos look back down. "So they do. But why here?"

Esna started to walk, Amatos following close behind him. A slave fell in behind them both, handing a datapad bearing the profile of a Sebiestor woman to Amatos. "Have you heard of this person, Amatos?"
Amatos pulled his glasses off again to look at the datapad. "Angelina Ballentyne? No, why?"

Esna grimaced. "Nevermind. Amatos, I need a huge favor from you. A Carthum Net uplink, inside your system. Not Galnet."
Amatos glances at Esna, his face neutral. "I could get fired for that. You aren't even affiliated with that Loyalist bunch anymore."
"So just tell me how to get to find and get into one. Where I won't be disturbed. Nobody can link it to you."

Amatos finally relented with a sigh. "Alright. For you, friend."
A wide smile split Esna's face. "Thank you. You have no idea how much this helps me."
Amatos grunted, writing out some notes on the datapad, then handing it over to Esna. "There. And if I get fired, you're paying my pension."
"If you you get fired, I will hire you to keep my hangars in shape."







"How the hell-"

Esna's hologram raised a finger to its lips. "Shh. Discuss later, buisness first."
"This is a secure-"

"And I have friends. You know this."

"I have a reputation-"

"You also have my assurance this line is secure."

Mesghoh Huchmib sighed. "Fine. What? And how did you get on the this net?"
Esna grinned widely. "I need a favor. A certain file within your legal net. About an upcoming event."
"That is a severe breach of security! If it ever got out that I'd done this, I could be made a rank two, even rank one agent!"
"You know I won't do that. I worked for you long enough to prove that."

"..."
Esna glanced away from the holocam and tapped a few buttons. Moments later, Mesghoh's mail service was flashing. "That's the profile on a person I believe to be held in a specific Carthum station. I need to know for sure. And then where."
Mesghoh examined the file, and for a brief second surprise flickered over his face. "A criminal?"
"Yes. I have an interest in her."
"Let me see... yes, she's to be sentenced in two days. To death, barring personal intervention of the Magistrate-"
"I need an invitation to the sentencing."
There was a long silence, during which Esna watched Mesghoh's chin tremble with increasing furiosity. Finally, the man broke it. "That is really- really- that is far to much!"
"Oh, do stop worrying. There's actually nothing wrong with suggesting my name be added to the roster. It's probably the most legal bit of this little endeavor."
Mesghoh considered this. Esna turned the screws a little more. "And besdies... I happen to know someone looking for a rank three agent in the area."
Mesghoh looked interested. "How long would this person be around?"
"Long enough to make it worth it for you. Another feather in your cap, for a relatively small favor."
"Fine. Empress damn you, Pitoojee, but you've got your invitation."
Esna smiled and faded out, the grin and salute he gave Mesghoh the last thing visible before he dissapeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment